Take this course to learn how to build a top rope anchor. Whether you are top-roping or leading indoors, this course will teach you how to safely climb outdoors independently.
During this 2 day course, you will learn the fundamentals of rock climbing outdoors: from knots, to anchor building, to rappelling and cleaning a route.
This course is offered in English and French.
● Safety standards in the outdoor climbing environment
● Climbing equipment and their application
● Climbing knots and their application
● Building a top rope anchor
● Cleaning an anchor
● Building an anchor on a tree
● Rappelling from a sport anchor and a tree
● Perfecting belaying technique and use of different devices
● Overview of self-rescue
● Risk assessment
● How to read a guide book
● Gear management
● Rope management
● Must know how to belay on top rope
● At least 3 months of experience climbing (top rope or lead)
● Must be comfortable to climb 5.9 indoors
● Age minimum: 18 years old
● Must be able to hike 2 km uphill
● Rock climbing gear (rope, slings, carabiners, personal anchor system, helmet, harness)
● Course Content for 2 days
● Plenty of time to practice acquired skills
● Digital cheat sheet with course content
● Opportunities to assist other climbing trips to familiarize yourself with the techniques
What’s Not Included:
● Transportation to Rigaud
● Entrance fee ($5/person/day)
- Learning important knots
- Application of the knots on sport and natural anchors
- Learning how to make an anchor
- Practice rappelling on ground
- Review course content of Day 1
- Practice building anchors using different equipment
- Practice rappelling
- Cleaning anchors
Location: Rigaud, QC
I took the two-day anchor building workshop with Emma and absolutely loved my experience. Her patience, energy and ability to explain things in a simple and logical progression make her a wonderful teacher. Most importantly, after taking her class, I feel confident and capable of setting up safe anchors on my own.
Emma est tellement douce, patiente, compétente et agréable !! Je surmonte constamment mes peurs et elle m'a tellement bien outillée à me sentir en sécurité et à y faire face! Je conseille vivement le cours de transition moulinette, les sorties d'escalade, et plus !
As an Instructor, Emma is well organized and will take the required time to ensure everyone understands. Generally, there is also sufficient time to get multiple repetitions for a person to properly assimilate the concepts in question.